Monday, December 15, 2008

Ready or not!

Now, this might seem like a crazy title in regard to potty training a two year old. However, its not what you might think. Its not her; its me;)
I've been putting off potty training for a while now...

We've talked about it.

Ali does have her "big girl underwear" and her potty seat. She has a potty chart, potty treats near by, and even several books about going potty.

So why am I putting it off? Well, there was the fact that she had a stomach bug... lingering symptoms, and then I haven't been feeling too well. First it was "After she turns two." then, it was, "When she's feeling better." I had all sorts of excuses.

Finally, Ali had to put matters into her own hands. This morning she refused to let me put a diaper on her. She insisted that she wear 'underwear', and she was perfect all morning. She told me every time she had to go and was so proud. However, it all came to a screeching halt when she fell asleep on my shoulder while I was on the phone. (She had decided to start her day off at 4 am this morning, so she was tired before her normal nap time.) Without thinking I put her down (without a diaper). About a half an hour later I heard her talking in her bed. 'Odd', I thought. Then I heard the talking turn to distress. She probably would have been perfect all day had I not 'locked' her in bed unable to reach a potty by herself. Well, when I came up, she was wet and not one bit happy. I felt like the worst mom ever. I mean its not like I haven't done this before. Its not like she's not doing her part... Luckily children are resilient, and I'm sure with a little support she'll be potty trained in no time.

3 comments:

Oveson's said...

Yea for potty training...it is my favorite...ok so there is a little sarcasim in my voice...it is so great when they get to that point that they want to do it for themselves though!! Way to go girl!!!

Princess Hairstyles said...

I know what you mean about putting this off. I really need to start with Tayvin. But... I hate it so much! My excuse now, is waiting until after Christmas. Maybe it should be my New Years Resolution.

Unknown said...

Wow. I hope Abi is that pro-active too.