Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

Being as it is Mother's Day, I'd just like to say thanks to my mom for being the best mom in the world, for loving me when I am hard to love, for always being there for me, and for blessing my life in so many ways.
I'd also like to thank Christy for raising such a wonderful son. I am blessed every day because of your efforts as a mom.

I am also so thankful for three fabulous children that make this day so special to me. I sometimes stop and wonder why I'm so lucky to have the best kids in the world, and no, there is not a bit of bias here;)

My favorite quote/moment from each child today:

Bentley being so excited to give me the art he'd worked so hard to make.

Emma (whispering to me in chuch): "Mommy, my teacher told me when I get home to say I love her."
(later at home): "Mommy, I love you"
Me: I love you too.
Emma (evidently put out): "No Mom. My teacher said just me to say it."

Ali (while pushing at Tom's leg): "Move Daddy"

This is a poem that is in Bentley's baby book. (Emma and Ali's books are scheduled to be completed this year;) I thought today of all days would be appropriate to share it. For those with young children, I think you'll probably relate.

BEFORE I WAS A MOM

Before I was a Mom;
I made and ate hot meals,
I had unstained clothing,
I did my hair every day,
I had quiet conversations on the phone,
I slept as late as I wanted and I slept all night long.
Before I was a Mom;
My house stayed clean for more than five minutes,
I never tripped over toys while walking in the dark,
I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous,
I had never been puked on, pooped on, spit up on, chewed on, peed on, or
pinched by tiny fingers.
Before I was a Mom;
I never thought about immunizations,
I never held a screaming child so the doctors could give shots,
I never looked into teary eyes and cried,
I never felt my heart break into pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt,
I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin.
Before I was a Mom;
I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put it down,
I never sat up late hours of the night watching a baby sleep,
I never got up in the middle of the night to make sure everything was okay,
I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby.
Before I was a Mom;
I had complete control of my mind, my thoughts, my body, and my mind,
I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside of my body,
I didn't know that having something so small could make me feel so important,
I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache,
the wonderment, or the satisfaction of being a mom.
Before I was a Mom;
I never knew that something so small could effect my life so much,
I never knew that I could love someone so much,
I never knew how much I would love being a Mom.

4 comments:

Deirdra said...

I love the poem and I am glad you had a good mother's day! Kids really do make life so wonderful, what would we do without them!

Anonymous said...

Kim, thanks for putting being a mom into perspective for me...some days it is hard to reolize that this is supposed to be fun. Your kids are pretty dang cute. Happy mothers day!!!

Princess Hairstyles said...

This is very sweet. I agree, you do have some very cute kids, and an amazing mother.

Unknown said...

I love your favorite moments/quotes. :) What a good poem too. I have always loved neices and nephews and I was suprised at how much more love I feel for my little girl. I can't imagine how I can love any more children but everyone says it just grows.