Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Sick

When I was in kindergarten I recited this poem by Shel Silverstein.
SICK
"I cannot go to school today,"
said little Peggy Ann McKay,
"I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash, and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,
I'm going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,
I've counted sixteen chicken pox
And there's one more--that's seventeen,
And don't you think my face looks green?
My leg is cut, my eyes are blue--
It might be instamatic flu.
I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,
I'm sure that my left leg is broke--
My hip hurts when I move my chin,
My belly button's caving in,
My back is wrenched, my ankle's sprained,
My 'pendix pains each time it rains.
My nose is cold, my toes are numb,
I have a sliver in my thumb.
My neck is stiff, my voice is weak,
I hardly whisper when I speak.
My tongue is filling up my mouth,
I think my hair is falling out.
My elbow's bent, my spine ain't straight,
My temperature is one-o-eight.
My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,
There is a hole inside my ear.
I have a hangnail, and my heart is -- what?
What's that? What's that you say?
You say today is -- Saturday?
G'bye, I'm going out to play."
If only it were that simple...








Ali has been boasting a fever that peaked out at 105.5 and resulted in a trip to the ER on Friday night. That was after visiting the doctor on Friday and starting her on antibiotics for ear infections. Then we decided to stop by on Monday when the fever hadn't subsided. The doctor concluded that it was a mean virus and said we'd do blood work if she was still fevering in another 24 hours. Then finally on Tuesday she didn't warm up in between doses of Tylenol and Ibuprofen. Yea!!! She is still not quite herself but at least she's improving:) I've said it before, but I'll say it again... enough already!!!
- And -
Just to nail in the coffin...
As we were in the doctor's office on Friday, I was saying how Emma had the stomach bug three days previous. She was still not herself, and then that morning had broken out in a rash... Upon inspection of the rash, she was swabbed and tested positive for Strep! Who knew.
One more time... enough already!!!

4 comments:

Oveson's said...

Wow I think you are going for the record. That is no fun. It makes you so sad to see them sick enough to break your heart. Especially when they have a feaver. Good luck with the strep thing too :(

Anonymous said...

That's horrible! Our whole family has been sick all week as well. Hope everyone starts feeling better soon. And by the way, I LOVED that poem by Shel Silverstein! That was my favorite in grade school and I still remember it. How funny!

Princess Hairstyles said...

Poor kids! And mostly, poor Mom! Sometimes I think it's harder to watch your kids suffer than to actually be sick yourself. Hopefully they'll be feeling better soon.

Unknown said...

You poor things! Oh i hope you all get better and that you have months of illness free summer bliss. If i was a genie, I would give you that wish.