Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

THE "Thankful Day"!!! I can hardly believe how fast this month has gone. It has been fun posting (almost) everyday. (And I'm thankful for the "post options" feature so I can catch up when needed.)

I was just thinking about all the different things I've written about. I really do have so much to be thankful for, yet true gratitude is something that I definitely need to work on. It is almost like I cognitively know that I have a lot of blessing, but some of my blessings (as I wrote before) are also things that I struggle with. hmmm... I don't think that adds up to true gratitude. I was just reading a post written by my cousin, Cecilee. She wrote, "I think being grateful is a commandment because it helps us to see outside ourselves and our own problems. It helps us recognize that all around us there are things Heavenly Father has given us so that we can have joy in life. We just need to see those things." Then she posted the quote,
"Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he's been robbed. The fact is that most putts don't drop, most beef is tough, more children grow up to be just people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, and most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is like an old-time railroad journey. Delays, side tracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride." (Gordon B. Hinckely, 1978)
I think I've been wasting too much time "running around shouting that (I've) been robbed." I love this quote and am so thankful for the principle of repentance and that I can improve at "thank(ing) the Lord for letting (me) have the ride".
No, life isn't perfect or easy, but it is good, and the "beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed" make it fantastic. Some of these may be repeats from the month, but today I feel truly thankful for...
1. The gospel of Jesus Christ
2. A kind, sweet, and wonderful husband
3. Three beautiful, healthy children
4. Extended family that is the best
5. In-laws that provide many cousins for the kids to play with
6. A healthy body
7. Being dept free
8. New babies who will be joining our family soon
9. The Christmas season
10. The principles of hope and faith
11. Prayer
12. A loving Heavenly Father who is mindful of his children and whose hand has and will continue to guide my life.

Some pictures from the feast.




No comments: