Friday, November 28, 2008

I could go broke saving money!

Today is one of my most favorite Fridays of the year, Black Friday. It has been a tradition in my family for many years for my Grandma Hettie, my Mom, sometimes some aunts, and my sisters to hit the after Thanksgiving Day sales. My Grandma is one of the best bargain shoppers around, and is the one who I need to give credit to for originally saying the title of this post. Yes, we've been know to be one of those crazy ladies at 5 am bustling around trying to hunt down the best deals. The general plan would consist of shopping for a couple of hours, going out to breakfast together and then heading for home.
After getting married, Tom and I decided to alternate which family we would spent Thanksgiving with. I've missed participating with my family but have still managed to (usually) get some shopping in each year. Although I still miss being with my sisters and mom, I'd have to say that this year was one of the craziest ever. Living near Park City we are very close to the outlets. The crazies there have chosen not to open early in the morning, but instead they open at midnight and a few stores even open at 10:30 pm on Thanksgiving Day! Well, after watching everybody chub up yesterday (I hope you know I'm kidding.) We left shortly after 10 pm to hit the sales and boy did we find them. We didn't arrive home until 7:3o am! That's right; we shopped all night long! It was my kind of shopping: little time restrictions, no kids, adequate funds all nicely budgeted for items purchased with room to wiggle for the too good to pass by deals, and a guilt free feeling because we weren't sacrificing time with the fam... everyone else was asleep. Christmas shopping season - bring it on.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

It sounded like a blast, I wish I could have been there with you! I can't believe you lasted ALL night! Impressive! I'm glad it was all worth it!

Cecilee said...

Oh my goodness!!! I am in awe! An all-nighter?? So how did you feel today? I would have been a mean zombie after staying up all night. But once a year is definitely worth it. Maybe we'll have to hit Park City next year. Sounds REALLY fun, and tiring.

Kim said...

It was really fun, but I can't say we were peppy and excited the whole time. By the end we were pretty tired. I've definitely been sleepy today, but was able to get an hour of sleep in the morning, and then in the afternoon Tom took Bentley and Emma swimming, but Ali is still recovering from being sick so I was able to have some quiet time where I could have slept more while she napped, but I blogged instead. Like I said, it was fun, but I'll have to catch up on some much needed sleep before I commit to another all night trip.